Sunday, March 7, 2010

Our Special Weekend

Sunday March 7, 2010
Bawden Family
Elder Oaks & Derek Bawden

Elder Oaks and Reece A. Bawden

Elder Oaks, Pres. Bawden, Pres. Stoker,
Pres. Gardner, and Elder Lesueur

The whole Bawden clan




This last weekend my dad's stake was getting a new stake president. My dad said that all of the high counsel men were getting interviewed and that he was going in and it was no big deal. Well on Saturday he got a call and was asked to come back for another interview. Elder Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles asked my dad to accept the calling of Stake President over the Citrus Heights Stake. This meant that my family was going to get to meet and greet with an apostle of the Lord. We met with him Sunday night for a few moments and I was star struck. I am not sure that is the best wording but that is how I felt. He was kind and charismatic. He told story after story and called Saturday his story night. It has been too long since I have been spiritually fed so much. Then Sunday morning we were able to sit in a room with him while he spoke to some of the children about what was about to happen and why he was going to give my dad and his counselors a blessing. It was sweet and special. I hope to always remember the spirit that filled my life this weekend. I know that my mom was able to stand and preach with my father at the pulpit today and I cannot explain what that is like to know. My dad is a wonderful man that I honor and adore. I hope that Stuart and I will live our lives so that we can always have his spirit to be with us. What a beautiful and special weekend.
Some stories and moments I don't want to forget
*Kristian rubbing Elder Oaks head and makes jokes with him
*Elder Oaks laughing at his own jokes - hilarious!
*Elder Oaks blessing my father to have bless the lives of his children and grandchildren. Also that he will have good health and financial stability
*Elder Oaks testifying that my dad was called of God
*We shouldn't just raise our children to adulthood but raise our children to be righteous parents
*The horse & rabbit - 50/50
*Watching President Gulbransen, Elder Oaks, and my dad sing "The Spirit of God"

3 comments:

LKP said...

ok, WOW!!!!!!!! ! !! ! ! ! ! !

i hope you're also jotting all this down in a journal of paper!
had the opportunity to meet Elder Holland in 2007. when i went to shake his hand, he pulled me in & gave me a hug and told me of my worth. it was amazing. but just that snippet doesn't do the experience justice. it was something to be WRITTEN in my journal for sure. =)
sheesh! here i'm on cloud 9 STILL 3 years later and i certainly didn't get to spend the time with him that you did with Elder Oaks. phew, woman! AWESOME!!!! i know what you mean about feeling starstruck. hands down the coolest memories to have.
make sure you do write it all down, dollface, so you can capture all your emotions & the subtleties of the weekend. you'll be so glad you did!
remember how President Kimball instructed the members to get a notebook & start journaling? his remark was "the angels may quote from it." even if it's only the angels you are raising in your home, that's angelic enough. how wonderful to have this all down for them! =) you are one blessed gal, for sure.
i'm so excited for you & your family.

Stevie and Meesha said...

That is so AMAZING you got to meet an apostle. I bet the spirit there was amazing:) Your family is too cute and I still love that GINNY:) lol she is ADORABLE. You look so good by the way. We love and miss your family hopefully we will be able to see you guys sometime soon!

DeWitts said...

Awesome!